Soothing Boost Oil$8.99 (1)
Blend Oat, Argan & Zi
Cao 25 oz
Nothing says Halloween quite like the glowing pumpkins on every doorstep. But what happens to all those "guts" once you've scooped them out of your Jack O'Lantern? Our friends at Green Halloween share this easy recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds – a great tasting and healthy snack. Pumpkin seeds provide our bodies with zinc which is perfect at this time of year to help ward off colds. Green Halloween suggests trying different combinations of flavors. The recipe here uses olive oil and sea salt, but try mixing things up a little by using things like garlic salt and Worcestershire, or for a sweeter flavor sprinkle on cinnamon and nutmeg! It's fun to get your kids involved and let them create fun combinations!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Medium Pumpkin
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut open pumpkin and scoop out the insides into a big bowl. Add water to the bowl to help separate the seeds from the stringy flesh (a lot of the seeds will just float up to the top!) and then rinse seeds in a colander.
- To make the seeds nice and crunchy boil them before putting them in the oven. Skip this step if you'd like as it's not essential. In a small pot add the seeds (for a medium pumpkin is around 1/2 cup) to approximately 2 cups of water. Add 1 tablespoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Spread Olive Oil on the bottom of a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet then spread the seeds (try not to have the seeds touching). Bake on the top rack until the seeds are golden brown 10 -20 minutes depending on how brown you like the seeds.
- Take out of the oven and allow seeds to cool. Then enjoy this tasty fall snack!!
Photo: Food Thinkers